This event will be a re run (with a twist) of a popular event at Ian’s Studio the One Light Night. The last time this was run back in May 2011 it was a popular event and we have requests to re-run it so others can attend. Again the event will be hosted and run by “New to Photos”‘s Rick Bradbury
For this event we will be working with just one light, why? Well you can truly do allot with just that one single light and it’s a great place to start if you are new to using light or flashes. The key when starting out is keep it simple, start somewhere and then move on…that somewhere is with One Light.
During this event I will cover the basics of finding a good (no such thing as correct) flash exposure so you can start to practice and become comfortable with dialling in a good exposure with your camera and your light. Remember I said Your and this is where the twist comes in.. I want you to bring your speedlite (what most people start with) your modifier (if you have one), your stand and bracket and your wireless triggers. But the studio has studio lights we can use? Yup it does but using those lights won’t help you with getting to learn and know your gear.
You will be using your gear, learning about flash exposure and making the images happen yourself (with my help), I’m not going to use a light meter and tell you what settings because that’s of no help to you, this event is designed to help beginners to flash photography and using one light. So if you have some lighting gear but have yet to learn how to use it then this is for you. Of course regular studio event attendees/advanced photographers are more than welcome but this is to help people new to using off camera lighting.
We will look at where to start with gear/ modifiers and positioning your light (a subjective choice). Learning the basics will help your photography far more than buying new gear any day and with the skills learnt (then practiced!) you will be free to attend future studio events with out these basics getting in the way.. freeing you up to shoot shoot shoot.
I look forward to meeting you at the event and starting you on your journey with off camera lighting and kick starting your to gaining control of the gear you own.
What you will need.
- Your Camera and kit lens (feel free to bring other lens but keep it simple)
- Your speedlite (one) and some batteries (bring spares)
- Your wireless triggers, the studio has triggers available but if your have your own bring them.
- Your Stands and brackets if you’re unsure on how they work/set up.
- Your modifier (but only one) if you have one.
- Questions – if you have any about this stuff then write them down. I’m not leaving until I answer them all.
- Desire to learn and get to know your own gear and further your photography, this wont cover it all but it will get you started and on your way.
If possible please bring the correct money.
Details of our model for this event will be released in due course.