“Competitive prices and a friendly service”
Ian’s Studio is available for hire. We have two hire schemes (regular and flexible) and also offer a mentoring service during your shoot.
Regular Hire Rates
Choose your start time and the number of hours you wish to hire the studio for. The price structure for regular hire is as follows:
|Number of Hours||Total Price||(Price Per Hour)|
Please note our cancellation policy for regular hires:
Cancellation within 1 week – 25% cancellation fee will be charged.
Cancellation within 48hrs – 50% cancellation fee will be charged.
Cancellation within 24hrs the full fee will be charged.
1. If the studio is rebooked for the same or a longer period of time, the cancellation fees may (at the studio owner’s discretion) be waived providing the date of the new booking is within 30 days.
2. If the cancellation is due to a model “no show” and the model was booked by the studio the full booking fee will be refunded.
Flexible Hire Rates
Two of the things that hirers have been asking for is more flexibility in their hires, and a reduced rate for those who hire the studio regularly. Our “Flexible Hire Rates” system aims to provide both.
Under this scheme, you will purchase a number of hours in advance.
When you book the studio you let me know the time you wish to start the hire and the time your expect to finish. Your purchased hours will be reduced by the actual number of hours you shoot (rounded up or down to the nearest 15mins). This means you are only paying for the hours you need. If you finish a shoot early we stop the clock when you finish and you use the time saved on another occasion.
Similarly, if a shoot is going well or is taking longer than you expected and you wish to continue shooting then we just deduct more time from the hours you have purchased.
The flexible scheme also protects you against a model or client doing a ‘no show’ – if a model you have booked doesn’t turn up, you only loose the minimum of one hour off your purchased time.
|Hours Purchased||Price||(Price Per Hour)|
A few terms and conditions
- Flexible Hire hours must be paid for in advance of the hire. Payment can be made via PayPal here.
- All purchased hours must be used within 1 year of the purchase date. If you buy additional hours to ‘top up’ your account then the oldest hours will be used first.
- All flexible hires are subject to a minimum of 1hr.
- Any cancellation with less than 24hrs notice (including those cause by model no shows) will result in 1hr being deducted from your purchased hours.
- Extending shoots beyond expected finish time is always subject to studio and my availability at the time, and while we will do our best to accommodate over-runs we cannot guarantee it.
- In the event that you do not have sufficient hours in your account for the studio hire. The difference will be charged at the regular hire rates.
- At the end of each hire session we will inform you of the number of hours being deducted from your account and let you know the number of hours remaining.
Please note our cancellation policy for flexible hires
Cancellation within 24hrs – 1hr will be deducted from your purchased hours. (Exception: If the cancellation is due to a model “no show” and the model was booked by the studio the full booking fee will be refunded.)
For a normal studio hire, I (or a suitably experienced person if I am unavailable) will be on hand to help set up backgrounds and lights. While we always try to answer questions and make your hire run as smoothly as possible we are not there to provide training during your hire. We set the light make sure everything is working as expected and then retire to the office to let you and your subject get on with your shoot.
In contrast, For a mentored shoot, however, I will sit in the studio throughout your shoot. I will be providing advice throughout your shoot on how you can get the best out of the lighting and model you have chosen to work with. This may include topics such as shooting style, your choice of angles, how you provide direction to the model. If there are additional poses or props that might enhance your subject I will suggest them too.
If you know in advance what type of lighting you wish to use I’ll provide lighting diagrams and notes documenting a number of possible lighting set-ups. Also during your first mentoring session at the studio, I will provide you will a set of notes documenting such topics as how different lighting modifiers affect the image, posing suggestions and advice on working with models.
For a mentored shoot, I strongly recommend working with an experienced model, rather than using a friend or family member as your subject. A mentored session is all about helping you improve as a photographer. We need to focus our attention on you and not lose time explaining how to pose to your family member or friend. I can help identify and book a suitable model for your shoot.
The price for a mentored shoot is studio hire rate + 60% (50% for Academy Members and for flexible hire scheme members). For example, a 5hrs session would be £80 for the studio hire + £48 for the mentoring, giving a total price of £128. For those on the flexible hire scheme is actual time +50% So a 3hr mentored shoot would result in 4.5hrs being deducted from your purchased hours. In addition to this, you are responsible for the model’s fee.
I try very hard not to spring any additional charges on photographers hiring the studio. The exceptions to this however are of course breakages and excessive use of background paper. Please be assured that normal usage is covered in the hire cost. In five years of running the Studio I have never yet had to make an additional charge for excessive use of background paper!
Wet and Messy Shoots
The studio can accommodate messy shoots and wet shoots (we have a temporary shower set-up and plenty of protective sheeting). But depending on the type of shoot you are doing I may have to charge a little extra to cover the cost of the extra work involved in set-up and clearing after such shoot. Please let me know what type of wet or messy shoot you are looking to do and I will let you know if there will be an additional charge involved and if so how much.