Firstly thank you to everyone who has been supporting the studio over recent weeks. It is no exaggeration to say that Ian’s Studio wouldn’t exist without the support of the people who come to events and workshops, and the people who help out in so many other ways. So I want to give a bit of a shout-out to just a few of those people…
My first thank you is to Nik Sheppard who has been arranging for us to have people to photograph at tomorrow night’s Band Night. Also my thanks to the artists who are giving their time for free to come to the studio.
My second thank you goes out to Loz Saunders and Andy Johnson – both of whom have spent time trying to improve the sound quality on my weekly tutorial videos. We are not there yet, but you can hear the tie-clip mic in action in this week’s video which is all about photographing a bottle of beer.
I have a couple of thank yous in connection with last Saturday’s Messy Workshop. Rick Bradbury for helping set-up for it on Friday night, and to Rachael for helping clear up afterwards. And of course my thanks to Kiki Devine for being our long suffering model. One up-shot of last Saturday’s event is that it has provoked a lot of interest from photographers and in this newsletter I’m announcing details of some future Messy Workshops and events.
Finally thank you to all those who have already booked to join the “Intermediate Photography Course” which starts on Wednesday 11th April. I still have some spaces available.
Ok, so that’s my intro done in the style of an Oscar Speech… so for more details of all the events, workshops, courses and videos I’ve mentioned…. as ever…. please read on….
Friday, 30 March 2012 , 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM
Location: Ian’s Studio
Bands often need promo images. Tonight will be a chance to try your hand at shoot one or two local bands or solo artists.
You MUST agree to supply images you take to the band or bands, and you must be happy for them to use any images you supply
The details of the bands/artists are subject to change (eg due to their work commitments) but at present we should have….
- Gabriel Minnikin (canadian singer songwriter, keyboardist, banjo, guitar, mouth organ, varying hairstyles, takes good direction etc).
- John Mackie (http://www.zylotonerecords.co.uk/artist.html)
Conversations are on going with other artists for the evening. My thanks to Nikki Sheppard for arranging the artists for this event.
Price: £10 – Plus you must supply images to the artists.
Art/Glamour Nude Day
Monday, 9 April 2012 , 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Location: Ian’s Studio
Not a formal workshop, but a chance to try out some art nude and some glamour nude set ups. Come with ideas of what you want to create, and work with the models throughout the day.
We will have two models with us this day one in the morning the other in the afternoon.
I am pleased to announce that one of the models for the day will be Rosie M. Rosie will be the “Art Nude” model for the event. Rosie was last at the Studio for an Art Nude workshop in February.
You can see Rosie’s Purestorm profile here: http://purestorm.com/rosie_m_7. You can some of the images from the Art Nude Workshop with Rosie here: http://photos.imb.biz/model/shoot/rosieartnude (all these links contain artistic nudity).This event is ideal for those who have previously attended the art nude workshops we have run at the studio and wish to build on that.
Please note: To be able to run this event I need a minimum of three photographers to book. The maximum number will be eight photographers.
If we have 7 or 8 confirmed photographers I would set-up a second shooting area and ensure that we have two models for the full day.
Price: £65 (Does NOT include lunch and does NOT include printed notes)
Please can people pay a £20 deposit to secure their place. You can pay your deposit on-line here: http://www.ians-studio.co.uk/pay/
Intermediate Photography Course
Weekly on Wednesday Evenings 7.30pm till 10.00pm from 11th April 2012
Location: Ian’s Studio
The course will consist of eight sessions (session 5 on glamour, boudoir, & art nude is option). Each session will be two and half hours in length.
Each session will look at one or two related genres of photography. We will cover techniques and equipment, and I will be providing practical advice and where appropriate I’ll share experiences from a professional perspective.
- Session 1 : Travel and Architecture
- Session 2 : Available light portraiture and Weddings
- Session 3 : Off Camera flash and strobist techniques
- Session 4 : Studio portrature
- Session 5 : Glamour, boudoir and art nude photography (This session is optional)
- Session 6 : Events, theatre and performance photography
- Session 7 : Macro, product and commercial photography
- Session 8 : Sports and wildlife photography
Each session will leave you with some homework to reinforce the skills and techniques we have talked about.
8 Sessions: £165.
or 7 Sessions (omitting session 5) : £155
The course is aimed at photographers who have a reasonable level of photographic knowledge. I have designed the course to be particularly suitable for those who have already completed my “Introduction to Digital Photography” course. If you have not completed that course, you should have an understanding of photographic techniques such as exposure, aperture, controlling depth of field, etc. Experience of using flash guns is useful but not essential. As with any course the time spent on any given subject will be tailored to reflect the current knowledge and experience of those attending.
Printed course materials will be provided to all attendees. Throughout the course there will be opportunities should you wish to have your photographs assessed to help you improve.
Places on the course will be limited. To book your place please contact me.
Please note: The course is designed for users of DSLR cameras. If you have a “compact” camera or a “bridge” camera please contact me to discuss its suitability for this course.
Messy Workshop and Events
Following on from Saturday’s Messy Workshop – I have had a few people ask about when I am next going to run a messy workshop or similar event.
I am pleased to announce that I will be rerunning the “Messy Art Nude Workshop”, again with Kiki Devine, on Sunday 29th April. You can find more information and book for the workshop here: http://www.ians-studio.co.uk/events/messy-art-nude-workshop-2/ – you can see images from Saturday’s workshop here: http://photos.imb.biz/model/shoot/kikimessy (Usual warning about nudity!).
In addition to this I’ve added two other messy events to the studio calendar. These are:
These two full day events will build on the ideas we look at in the Messy Art Nude Workshop and while I have plenty of ideas and setups that we can shoot at those events, they are designed to enable attendees to bring their own ideas which we can develop and shoot.
This weeks video shows two different way to photograph a bottle of beer. With reflections and using a light-tent.
Here’s the link: http://youtu.be/K-qRXDA1TlQ?hd=1
Please subscribe to the video feed on YouTube – this will help my chances of attracting sponsors so that I can afford to keep producing the videos. Comments and like on YouTube are also helpful.
Here’s are the links to released previously.
- Video 006 Microphone Tests
- Video 005 Photography Critique: Yuri Vashchenko
- Video 004 Multiplicity DIY
- Video 003 Interview with Rick Bradbury
- Video 002 Stock Photography: RM or RF?
- Video 001 Caricature self-portrait
- Video 000 Introductory video
Please take a look at them and let me know what you think (good or bad), also let me know of any topics you would like me to cover.
- Light tent for eBay products
- Talking pictures with Rick Bradbury
- Photography Critique: Shawn Truesdell
- Time lapse showcase
- Lightroom Metadata
- How to create a time lapse video
Please note the titles and order of release is still provisional at this stage and may change.
If you have a YouTube account you can subscribe to updates to my channel so that you are notified when new videos come along.
The Full Programme
For full details of all our fourthcomming events please use the links below..
- Friday, 30 March 2012 – Band Night
- Bank Holiday Monday, 9 April 2012 – Art/Glamour Nude Day
- Friday, 13 April 2012 – Mega Model Night II
- Saturday, 14 April 2012 – Night Photography Workshop
- Friday, 20 April 2012 – Dance Dance Dance
- Friday, 27 April 2012 – Table Top Night: High speed photography
- Saturday, 28 April 2012 – Introduction to Studio Photography Workshop
- Sunday, 29 April 20-12 – Messy Art Nude Workshop
- Friday, 4 May 2012 – Wet and Wild!
- Friday, 11 May 2012 – Film Noire Night
- Saturday, 12 May 2012 – Lightroom Training Day
- Friday, 18 May 2012 – Macro & Focus Stacking
- Saturday, 19 May 2012 – Wet and Messy Day
- Friday, 25 May 2012 – Snakes on a Nude
- Saturday, 26 May 2012 – Digital rain & wet-look glamour workshop
- Friday, 1 June 2012 – Multiplicity
- Sunday, 24 June 2012 – Girl/Girl Messy Day